Welsh Government COVID-19 guidance published for residents over local lockdown in neighbouring county

Welsh Government has published a Frequently Asked Questions document ahead of the local lockdown in Rhondda Cynon Taf this evening.

The guidance which can be accessed here on the Welsh Government website also provides information for residents living in places such as Evanstown which is in Bridgend county borough but which borders Gilfach Goch in Rhondda Cynon Taf.

Bridgend County Borough Council leader Huw David said: “We would urge residents living close to the local authority boundary to take note of the relevant guidance published in the Frequently Asked Questions today.

“It covers important areas such as travelling through Rhondda Cynon Taf, using nearby shops and health centres, going to work and school, and seeing family and friends.

“It remains the responsibility of everyone to help prevent the spread of this virus – that is, by self-isolating when asked to do so, staying two metres away from others, and by washing hands regularly.”

Deputy leader Hywel Williams added: “The lockdown may be particularly concerning for residents living in Evanstown, Gilfach Goch and communities which in some cases straddle the boundary line between Bridgend County Borough and Rhondda Cynon Taf.

“For this reason, we have specifically requested that the Frequently Asked Questions take such concerns into account, and I would urge all households living along the boundary area to take the time to read them.”

Welsh Government has said the restrictions in Rhondda Cynon Taf come into force at 6pm tonight and will be kept under review. It has a duty to review the restrictions after two weeks and every week after that if the restrictions remain in place.

Below are some of the questions and answers featured in the new guidance.


I live just outside Rhondda Cynon Taf but the nearest shops and other facilities to me are inside the county borough – can I still use them?

If you are buying essential items and there is no reasonable alternative to using shops within Rhondda Cynon Taf, you can do so. However, in most cases we would expect there to be alternative options, even if this involves travelling a bit further than you would normally.


I live outside the Rhondda Cynon Taf area but my work is there and I cannot work from home – can I go to work there?
Yes, if you are unable to work from home and as long as you do not have coronavirus symptoms and have not been advised to self-isolate for any reason.


I have caring responsibilities within Rhondda Cynon Taf – can I continue to fulfil them?
Yes – whether or not you yourself live within the County Borough. People who are providing care or essential support, such as delivering shopping, can continue to make visits, but they should pay attention to all hygiene and social distancing precautions.


I have a medical appointment outside the Rhondda Cynon Taf area – can I travel to it?
Yes. If the appointment is non-urgent, we would ask you to postpone it, but where you require medical assistance you can travel to wherever is necessary to receive that assistance. Please try if possible not to stop at other locations along the way.


The same applies to any people living outside the Rhondda Cynon Taf area who have a medical appointment inside the area.


Can I visit someone in a care home?
Routine visits to care homes in the Rhondda Cynon Taf area (both indoor and outdoor) have been suspended at the present time. Visits to care homes may still take place in exceptional circumstances such as end of life, however this should be discussed with the individual care home before travelling.


Can I travel through Rhondda Cynon Taf to reach a destination not in the borough?
If you have to travel along a road that passes through the area and you have no other reasonable option to travel to your destination, then this is allowed.


I live outside Rhondda Cynon Taf but my child goes to school/college there – can I still take them there?
Yes. You can still take them to school/college.