Throughout December, we called on the support and generosity of kind-hearted local groups, churches, businesses, and members of the public to donate to the Santa Appeal 2023, to ensure children in our care received a gift to open on Christmas Day.
Despite a difficult financial climate, the response and donations to this year’s Santa Appeal have been overwhelming. Thanks to the generosity of so many individuals and local organisations the 2023 appeal has been resounding success.
To highlight some of the donations:
- The Just Giving page hosted by our partners at Awen Cultural Trust raised a grand total of £4,434 (£3,669 donations and £765 Gift Aid).
- Our colleagues at Halo raised £1,000 through donations at their tills.
- Pupils and staff from Bryntirion and Maesteg Comprehensive School’s raised funds for the appeal, as well as donating gifts.
- The council’s Social Services and Wellbeing teams and Day Services provision raised funds by holding bake sales.
- Poundland shops in Bridgend donated around 600 chocolate selection boxes.
- Hope Baptist Church donated both toys and gifts and cash donations.
- Handknitted blankets from Millie’s Community Blankets scheme were donated.
- Toys and gifts were donated at Awen libraries and at Civic Offices drop-off points by the community of Bridgend County Borough.
- Customers at Bridgend town centre restaurant, Corvo Lounge, donated brand new toys and gifts.
- Porters Estate Agents also donated cash to the fund-raising appeal.
Thank you to the 50 volunteers who wrapped and sorted more than 1,400 toys and gifts for 287 children in the county borough nominated from Social Care and Early Help/Flying start services to receive a gift which are now on their way to families and children in time for Christmas.
The council’s Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Social Services and Health, Cllr Jane Gebbie, said: “Each year the response to our Santa Appeal continues to amaze us, but I think this is our most successful year yet!
“We know Christmas is a financial strain on everyone, so it is with a sincere and heartfelt gratitude that we say a huge thank everyone who has taken the time and effort to donate.
“We’d also like to thank our partners at Awen and Halo, as well as local businesses and charities and church groups, local comprehensive schools and council staff who have rallied together to ensure every child in our care wakes to a present on Christmas morning.
“We thank you all for your generous contributions – we could not have done it without all the tremendous support we have received.”